Week 02 - Exercises (Progress & Final outcome)

 11/01/2022-13/01/2022 - Week 2

Tan Pei Yun (0345386) 
Design Principle 

Task 1 - Exercise 1
Progress for Design Principle Exercises



Lecture Fun Exercise :D

Figure 1. Imaginative Music Beats Artwork

Week 2 (11/01/2022)
Listen to the music , absorb the music beat in heart and create an artworks using design elements.

Defiantly, I had a lot of fun during this activity , it felt so magical that our mind could instantly connect to a variety of shapes ,it's just fun and allows us to be very imaginative.My mind pops up lots of circle shape and swirling lines that are followed by the music beats, Since the music beats are strong , I decided to use a strong colour like red and orange to emphasis this artwork. 


Design Principle Exercises 

Visual research 

Finally, after learning so many different types of elements and principle of design as well as gestalt theory, we arrive at our first and most important exercises, which is choose two principles and create two total works of design work. Before every exercises or assignment , research and brainstorming ideas is important, I was thinking about something related to pandemic and Chinese new year which is around the corner. 


Figure 2. Inspiration ; Idea ; Year of the tiger 


Figure 2.1 Inspiration ; Idea ; Wear a mask about pandemic 


While scrolling Pinterest where I can find inspiration and collect some ideas, eventually I pause at the moment where I saw beautiful scenery captured by an Indonesian photographer/ graphic designer. So i decided to check out his instagram. I really adore at his simple yet elegant style which blends perfectly with the landscape in such as the soft colours of sky , moon and mountains. 


Figure 2.3 Inspiration from Andhika Ramadhian



Repetition 

"Start with simple shapes." Before began my repetition design , I decided to start with a simple shape practice for myself, in which I experiment with drawing apps (Procreate) and their brushes and tools. To see how it works , I try to made multiples gradient red circles and arrange them in few different layout

Figure 3. Exercise (Repetition)
Figure 3.1 Exercise (Repetition)
Figure 3.2 Exercise (Repetition)



End up, when looking at these large and small red circles , I add the stalk and leaf which look like round apple (maybe) After the practice , I came up with the idea of creating the shape of corona virus , I decided to change the red circle shape slightly by adding more small circles and details to it.

Figure 4. Repetition (About Coronavirus)

To create the shape of coronavirus, I search some reference and create the red circle and add some shadow inside to give it a little texture to it.

Figure 4.1 Repetition (About Coronavirus)

Using the A4 size and drawing guides where help me to arrange the coronavirus accordingly.

Figure 4.2 Repetition (About Coronavirus)

After arranging them using the drawing guide and I add the background colour in gradient of blue and green


Figure 4.3 Final Outcome of Repetition (About Coronavirus)

Working on this design which related to pandemic, we were all clear of how the COVID-19 has fundamentally changed so many things and how in some situations all of us have been forced to change in order to continue living our lives.  It impacts how we view and access to physical and mental health.Through this pandemic ,we had to get creative with how we generate our own happiness and take care of our mental wellbeing, something I'm sure many of us hope to maintain as we approach the new year of 2022.


 


Contrast 

 For Contrast ,  I began by creating a moodboard where I selected various surreal aesthetic scenery that i enjoy. It has always been one of my goals to create design that are not only pleasing to eye, but also provided a surreal visual treat. Plus , I am constantly inspired by photographs.


Figure 5 Contrast (Moodboard)
Figure 5.1 Contrast (Inspiration)

For inspiration , there's few things that inspired me with . 
  • Nature (moon) , 
  • Night scenery (landcsape)
  • Colours (vivid colours)

Figure 5.2 Contrast (Rough sketches)


I came up with 3 different ideas :
  • Scenery A : Peaceful and calm sunset in the beach
  • Scenery B : A painter who painting the moon above the cloud
  • Scenery C : The melting moon that melt across the river 


Figure 5.3 Contrast (Moon)


A view of the 'super pink moon', in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Tuesday, April 7, 2020.


For the main characters will be moon , I choose a gradient of vivid pink and orange, which were inspired by the "super pink moon" that occurred in April of 2021. To add emphasis and eye catchy , I came up with the idea where the moon is melts , just like an ice cream was melting .



Figure 5.4 Contrast (Resources)

Thanks to Pexels , I able to use and edit them for my contrast design , I love how it looks with the mountain, galaxies and stars as well as the perfect moon where I can add texture to the gradient moon that I made.

Photo from pexels , free to use , from : Eberhard grossgasteiger and Pixabay


Figure 5.5 Contrast (Curves tool ; Progress)

I remove the background and crop the mountain out. To give a smooth and pleasing effect,I try to adjust the contrast by using curves editing tool in pro create.


Figure 5.6 Contrast (Progress)

From left side , I adjust the position of the moon on the mountain to the middle. While for right side I add the background with the galaxies.

Figure 5.6 Contrast (Final touch up)

I add some colours as a finishing touch to give it a "melting" feel. In overall , it looks like the moon is glowing and the light reflects it back and falls on the surface of the landscape (mountain)


Figure 5.7 Contrast (Final outcome)





Compilation Slides (Inspiration , Visual Research, Moodboard with Ideas and Thoughts)

 
Click on the link below where I show some timelapse for the progression !

Reflection 

"Works with what comfortable with you" 

During the discussion and looking back at my own sketch , There's my inner voice where I feel like I was just "doing" it and implied the design principle for the sake of exercise and made feel "less" and felt like no meaning to my own design.To be honest, I get struggled ,  It was the first time I felt very stressed out while searching ideas for the two exercises, I felt anxious and unsure about what I was doing. Of course , there isn't just one try out , there were probably more than 10 pieces of design in my procreate draft.

Due to the low self-esteem , The feeling of not being confidence and felt panicked when thinking about presenting to my lectures and classmates as sometime I may think a lot but when it comes to speak , all of my thoughts eventually fade away.When looking at my classmates' designs , I can tell they are completely different from mine, they have their own stories and concepts behind their design.

Well,I do learnt a lot from them, I wrote it down to my note to remind myself  to improve more in my next project and design thinking too .Thanks to Dr Charles, every time hearing about him speak , there lots of motivation powerful words just makes me feel more motivated , I remember he told us stress is necessity , best deal is talk about it , stress can do motivate usI felt super grateful where received a good feedback from Dr Charles, therefore , don't regret the past, just learn from it, keep going , Pei Yun !


Feedback

Figure 6 Feedback From Dr.Charles

  • Definitely I'm on the right track
  • My Slides are great :D However it will be good to have each slide and time-lapse posted in sequence in the blog to show the process , may post the actual slide after the blog 
  • Ready for the submission !!
  • Grasped the functionality of the use of design principles
  • The exercise outcome shows it well 
  • Further exploration to this functionality will be more evident when it see more crucial needs or requirements for design .
  • Will be more evident in the upcoming project  

Feedback from one of my close friends, Charlotte. I let her to review my blog and she told me she really like the landscape design of mine, it does look surreal but in a good way of eye pleasing and aesthetically. 




Sources/Further Reading

Figure 2.3 Inspiration from Andhika Ramadhian, https://www.instagram.com/andhikaramadhian/?hl=en

Comments

Popular Posts