Game Development - Exercises

23/04/2024 - 16/07/2024
Week 1 -Week 14
Tan Pei Yun / 0345386
Game Development /Bachelor of Design in Creative Media




Instructions 

 


Exercise 1 - Unity Game Experience

New semester which means diving back into the journey with Unity for this game development module hoho. For me,  is a mix of nervous and little bit of excitement, as I am not much of a gamer material but is okay , this is where I have to step out and learn more , who know I could be a potential gamer ? (just kidding) Additionally, We been tasked with playing Unity games that created by our seniors and sharing our experiences and insights about the gameplay mechanics on this website : 


Through today lecture I understand the few main important likes the Elements of game play : 

1. Challenges 
2. Strategy 
3. Chance
4. Choice 
5. Luck 



GAME PLAY REVIEWS
1.  Conjure by Kezia Lynn
Conjure Game Play

Art Style : 
The game had a cute and cartoonish doodle style. Lilith looked cute with small eyes , cheerful smile and  with her colourful purple witch outfit, and the environment was mixed with bright and spooky colours despite the spooky mist. I find it some of the character posture while moving wasn't that accurate and details , especially when it comes to walk and jump. 

Game Mechanics:
This game is set in the town of Shadowvale and me myself as a player take on the role of Lilith, the witch determined to investigate and put an end to the calamity. The gameplay revolves around Lilith defeating the creatures and completing mini quests in each stage to progress through the story. Players must interact with objects in the environment to understand how to complete tasks and advance the narrative. 

While playing this game, I find it the movement of the game is quite simple and straightforward , Left and right key while "z" to attack and "y" to interact with the NPC. The movement was not  too fast or too slow and not laggy. As I played, I learned more about why Shadowvale was messed up. Talking to NPC people and finding hidden stuff helped me piece together the story.  While the sound design of the game is add some touches which not feel like boring. 

Challenges:
The game had some tough parts, like finding the stuff and last task to fight with the big bosses which is the dragon. 

Yay ! I have SAVED THE CITY !


Overall Experience 
I managed to complete the game without much difficulty, I found the experience to be enjoyable nonetheless. Rather than relying solely on challenging gameplay mechanics, the game focused more on a mystery feel and finding and escaping the place to next stage together with some story plot. 

Unlike traditional game like Mario, this game have a slightly refreshing departure with its emphasis on exploration and finding hidden stuff. Instead of simply jumping and stomping on enemies, this game requires interaction, where interacting with NPC and searching for clues added depth to the gameplay, keeping me engaged till the last stage.

While I appreciated the experience and enjoyed the journey through Shadowvale, but I don't feel a strong desire to replay the game for next time again as achieving success  for once felt like a satisfying accomplishment, and I'm content with leaving it at that. 



2.  Misty Night by Tamara Audrey
Game Play of Misty Night

Reminds me of Zoro from One Piece
Art Style  
In terms of the character, Remy that reminds me of One Piece Zoro but in a doodle-style aesthetic. I love how the environment seems to be a cyberpunk theme, characterized by vibrant tone and futuristic structures that complement with each other.

Game Mechanics
The game objective is straightforward where have to overcome obstacles to reach the rooftop of the tallest building, hereby escaping the danger posed by the mysterious gas. The instructions is simple commands, such as using the spacebar to jump, pressing "x" to bash obstacles, and navigating left and right using directional keys. However, despite the simplicity of the controls, estimate precise jumps can be challenging at times. For instance the jumping mechanics, in particular, can feel inconsistent, which resulting in "over-jumping" and keep on losing the game. This inconsistency adds an extra layer of difficulty to the game and may require players to adapt their strategy and exercise patience. The sound effect and ambience that make me immerse more into the game.

Challenges
For me, getting through the obstacles, felt like testing my patient, the game concept is pretty similar to the Mario games, but x2 harder version. Each jump needed to be "perfect", and I found myself really focusing and putting effort into every move. It was definitely more challenging than Mario, pushing me to react quickly and keep trying even when I kept failing. However, the moment where I finally beat each obstacle, the feeling of accomplishment was incredible and made all the frustration totally worth it.a

Overall Experience
My experience with Misty Night was a challenging one as I did not manage to complete and end the game. While the game's mechanics posed some difficulties, particularly with jumping mechanics. Still , I enjoyed the aesthetic of the game that gave eye pleasing view which gaves some inspiration for my future game. 



Week 2 - CREATE YOUR OWN GAME IDEA WITH SCAMPERS 
30/04/2023


Week 3 - Player Experience 
07/05/2024
Purble Place Game Environment / Home Page 

Comfy Cakes Game Play

"Purble Place," which is my childhood game , this game was in Window back then. I like it as the game visual like environment and monster character are virabrant. This game keep me entertained as it comes 3 different types of mini games. Firstly, Purble Pairs is more into memory based game like match pairs of cards. Comfy Cakes, which is the puzzle game . Lastly, Purble Shop, is more towards to a fashion and style game ,  that challenges players to dress up the monster. The game is more towards strategy game and some level is easy that able to train your mind and patient. I'm reminded of the simple joys of childhood gaming , not so stressful game 






Comments

Popular Posts